I introduced "40 Things You Should Know Before Getting A cat" in the first blog post. As I told you in that blog, I got a cat and a dog. So I am going to introduce you something you need to be aware before you want to get a dog in my first blog of dogs.
According to the research of scientists, dogs are domesticated about 15,000 to 40,000 years ago which is much longer than cats. Dogs have become far more intimate with humans than all other creatures after few thousand years of co-development with humans. That is why you find that it is much easier to raise a dog than other pets. However, there are so many different breeds of dogs, you need to think about the personality of different dogs then get a suitable one. Here are few knowledge and suggestions you need to know before you want to get a dog:
- Refer to your living environment. There are small, medium and large sizes of dogs in general. If you live in a big villa, you can get any kind of dogs, but not the small puppies. Because large environments can give small dogs a feeling of insecurity, they will feel nervous and scared. If you live in an 80-120 square meter apartment, it is suitable for medium, small dogs that do not bark too much. If you live in a 50-80 square meters apartment, it is suitable for small dogs that don’t bark at all. If you live in an apartment that is under 50 square meters, I will say do not get a dog.
- Problems about dogs barking. Even though the bark problem can be trained and fixed later when you have dogs, better to start with the one that works better for you. The biggest problem for apartments is the nuisance caused by barking dogs. Smaller dogs tend to bark more vigorously than larger ones. Dogs that are alone and unloved tend to bark more than the dogs that are often accompanied by humans.
- You do need to walk your dogs and get them exercise regularly. If you are a single office worker, try to choose dogs with low demand for exercise. If there is someone that can take care of your dogs, you can choose dogs with high demand of exercise. If your schedule is unstable, I will advice you not to have a dog, otherwise they may want to be wandering.
- You don’t need to prepare a dog toilet at home for your dogs as long as you walk you dogs regularly. Dogs will develop the habit of defecating and urinating during their outdoor exercise. They will never do it at home. Even if they're in a hurry, they hum to tell you that they need to go to toilet.
- Some dogs shed their fur, and those who are allergic to pet hair are likely to resent it. If there is someone in your home that is really sensitive to animal hair, you can choose a breed of dog that rarely or never shed like schnauzer, poodle, white terrier in the western highlands, baga, sarpi, dachshund.
- There are different personalities for different dogs. In general, large dogs are calm and small dogs are relatively sensitive. Some dogs are really smart to catch all kinds of commands easily and some dogs are less obedient. I got a little teddy dog at home. It is a really sensitive guy. It loves to be around people so much and sometimes drive you crazy. The important point is that you need to understand the temperament of these dogs before you get one.
- Dogs are like cats that need regular annual pest control and rabies shots. Recommendations form CDC (Centers for Disease Control) on the treatment of cats, dogs and ferret bites in order to reduce infection risks.
If you were bitten by a cat, dog, or ferret that appeared healthy at the time you were bitten, it can be confined by its owner for 10 days and observed. No anti-rabies prophylaxis is needed. No person in the United States has ever contracted rabies from a dog, cat or ferret held in quarantine for 10 days.
If a dog, cat, or ferret appeared ill at the time it bit you or becomes ill during the 10-day quarantine, it should be evaluated by a veterinarian for signs of rabies and you should seek medical advice about the need for anti-rabies prophylaxis.
- If you're going to have an occasional long trip, it's better to buy a pet suitcase and take them with you. If it is really inconvenient for you to do so, you can give your dog to a familiar person that your dog knows better to take care for few days and also keep its habits. Otherwise the dog will get confused of its schedule and habits which requires more time to develop again.
- You need to prepare more toys that your dogs like puppets, tennis balls or bone-like gnashing toys. Unlike cats, dogs are always interested in things with their own smells.
- Dogs always go to certain places to rest and sleep, so they need to be provided with a nest or dog bed.
- You need to purchase a comb if you have a dog that is prone to shedding. The comb with dense-tooth is better. Dogs shed a lot during the break of spring and summer. They will feel comfortable with regular grooming and less dog hair floating at home.
- Don’t use plastic material as your dogs’ rice bowl and water bowl. You can choose silicone, ceramic or metal. You need to use different bowls for water and food and wash them regularly.
- Don’t feed milk to your dog. If your dog is a puppy that is less than three months old, you can buy specific dog milk powder for it. Normally, you only need to feed dog food. If you want to improve your dog’s diet, you can cook some chicken or beef in clean water. Don’t feed bones to small dogs. Don’t feed human food to all dogs, otherwise it will be a harm to their stomach.
- Keep your dog on the leash if you are walking them outside. Even people have accidents, and these dogs don't know much about the world.
- Dogs love taking showers, so you can bathe them at home. Since dogs have no sweat glands on their skin, the frequency of bathing depends largely on how clean they are after playing outside. Generally, you can bathe them every 1 or 2 weeks during summer time, every 2 or 3 time during winter time. Don’t leave it over 1 month. Prepare dog shower gel, towel, massage spray and hair dryer. Then you can do it at home. It's definitely fun.
- Dogs have a very good sense of smell. In fact, they have a very strong sense of smell memory. Even if your appearance has changed dramatically, they can tell immediately that the "stranger" in front of them is their master as soon as they smell your body odor. If you feed them a really good meal once, even after a long time, as soon as they smell again, they will immediately become excited. If you are trying to find something, you can try to let your dog help you.
- Dogs are not easy to get sick normally. Once they get sick, they will be more obvious. If they are not in good condition, it is better to take them to a pet hospital for examination as soon as possible. You need to be really careful about small dogs. Their physical fitness is relatively fragile, once small dogs are sick may lead to death.
- Try not to go to the grass to avoid the infection of ectoparasites when you walk your dogs,
- Blow dry completely after bathing the dog. Wet hair can cause skin diseases. But if your dog does have a skin disease, don't worry too much. Go to a pet hospital and get some anti-bacterial medicine and apply it regularly.
- A dog is the only animal in the world that will take the initiative to please humans. Once it recognizes you, its heart will always be yours. We will meet so many different people in our life, however, we are the only world in our dogs’ life. Be gentle to them as we are the most important one to them